(a) The commissioner shall:
(1) adopt rules regarding the filing of a complaint under this subtitle against an individual or entity subject to regulation under this subtitle; and
(2) ensure that information regarding the complaint process is available on the division's Internet website.
(b) The rules adopted under this section must, at a minimum:
(1) ensure that the division clearly defines in rule the method for filing a complaint; and
(2) define what constitutes a frivolous complaint under this subtitle.
(c) The division shall develop and post on the division's Internet website:
(1) a simple standardized form for filing complaints under this subtitle; and
(2) information regarding the complaint filing process.
(c-1) The division shall adopt a policy outlining the division's complaint process from receipt of the initial complaint to the complaint's disposition.
(d) The division shall keep an information file about each written complaint filed with the division under this subtitle that is unrelated to a specific workers' compensation claim, including a complaint regarding the administration of the workers' compensation system. The information must include:
(1) the date the complaint is received;
(2) the name of the complainant;
(3) the subject matter of the complaint;
(4) a record of all persons contacted in relation to the complaint;
(5) a summary of the results of the review or investigation of the complaint; and
(6) for complaints for which the division took no action, an explanation of the reason the complaint was closed without action.
(e) For each written complaint that is unrelated to a specific workers' compensation claim that the division has authority to resolve, the division shall provide to the person filing the complaint and the person about whom the complaint is made information about the division's policies and procedures under this subtitle relating to complaint investigation and resolution. The division, at least quarterly and until final disposition of the complaint, shall notify those persons about the status of the complaint unless the notice would jeopardize an undercover investigation.
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 980, § 1.08, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 265 (H.B. 7), § 2.003, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1162 (H.B. 2605), § 6, eff. September 1, 2011.