In this subchapter:
(1) "General contractor" means a person who undertakes to procure the performance of work or a service, either separately or through the use of subcontractors. The term includes a "principal contractor," "original contractor," "prime contractor," or other analogous term. The term does not include a motor carrier that provides a transportation service through the use of an owner operator.
(2) "Independent contractor" means a person who contracts to perform work or provide a service for the benefit of another and who ordinarily:
(A) acts as the employer of any employee of the contractor by paying wages, directing activities, and performing other similar functions characteristic of an employer-employee relationship;
(B) is free to determine the manner in which the work or service is performed, including the hours of labor of or method of payment to any employee;
(C) is required to furnish or to have employees, if any, furnish necessary tools, supplies, or materials to perform the work or service; and
(D) possesses the skills required for the specific work or service.
(3) "Motor carrier" means a person who operates a motor vehicle over a public highway in this state to provide a transportation service or who contracts to provide that service.
(4) "Owner operator" means a person who provides transportation services under contract for a motor carrier. An owner operator is an independent contractor.
(5) "Subcontractor" means a person who contracts with a general contractor to perform all or part of the work or services that the general contractor has undertaken to perform.
(6) "Transportation service" means providing a motor vehicle, with a driver under contract, to transport passengers or property.
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993.