(a) This section applies to a person, other than a chiropractor or a dentist, who performs health care services under this title as:
(1) a doctor performing peer review;
(2) a doctor performing a utilization review of a health care service provided to an injured employee;
(3) a doctor performing an independent review of a health care service provided to an injured employee;
(4) a designated doctor;
(5) a doctor performing a required medical examination; or
(6) a doctor serving as a member of the medical quality review panel.
(b) A person described by Subsection (a) who reviews a specific workers' compensation case must hold a professional certification in a health care specialty appropriate to the type of health care that the injured employee is receiving.
(c) Notwithstanding Subsection (b), if a health care service is requested, ordered, provided, or to be provided by a physician, a person described by Subsection (a)(1), (2), or (3) who reviews the service with respect to a specific workers' compensation case must be of the same or a similar specialty as that physician.
Added by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1218 (H.B. 2004), § 1, eff. September 1, 2007.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1330 (H.B. 4290), § 14, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1218 (S.B. 1742), § 3.10, eff. September 1, 2019.