(a) This section applies only to an employee of an employer who has 10 or more employees.
(b) To facilitate an injured employee's return to employment as soon as it is considered safe and appropriate by the injured employee's treating doctor, the treating doctor may request that the injured employee's employer provide the treating doctor with the information described by Subsection (d) on the form adopted under that subsection.
(c) Information provided to a treating doctor under Subsection (b) does not constitute:
(1) a request by the employer that the injured employee return to the employment;
(2) an offer of employment by the employer for the injured employee to return to employment; or
(3) an admission of the compensability of the injury of the employee.
(d) The commissioner shall prescribe a form to provide information from an employer to a treating doctor concerning the functions and physical responsibilities of an injured employee's job. To the extent possible, the form prescribed under this subsection shall be one page, use a check box format as appropriate, and be compatible with electronic mail. The form must include:
(1) the name and address of the employer and the contact information and availability of the individual representing the employer who has knowledge of the injured employee's job;
(2) the scope of the injured employee's employment, including any specific tasks, job duties, or work activities that the injured employee was required to perform at the time the employee sustained the injury; and
(3) an area for additional comments or information by the employer or individual representing the employer concerning:
(A) the injured employee's job; or
(B) the availability, if any, of other jobs that the employer may have that the employer would like the treating doctor to consider in determining whether an injured employee is able to return to work.
(e) The commissioner may adopt rules as necessary to implement this section and to facilitate communication between the employer and the treating doctor regarding return-to-work opportunities.
Added by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 456 (H.B. 2547), § 1, eff. September 1, 2009.