(a) An employer shall report to the employer's insurance carrier if:
(1) an injury results in the absence of an employee of that employer from work for more than one day; or
(2) an employee of the employer notifies that employer of an occupational disease under Section 409.001.
(b) The report under Subsection (a) must be made not later than the eighth day after:
(1) the employee's absence from work for more than one day due to an injury; or
(2) the day on which the employer receives notice under Section 409.001 that the employee has contracted an occupational disease.
(c) The employer shall deliver a written copy of the report under Subsection (a) to the injured employee at the time that the report is made to the insurance carrier.
(d) The insurance carrier shall file the report of the injury on behalf of the policyholder. Except as provided by Subsection (e), the insurance carrier must electronically file the report with the division not later than the seventh day after the date on which the carrier receives the report from the employer.
(e) The commissioner may waive the electronic filing requirement under Subsection (d) and allow an insurance carrier to mail or deliver the report to the division not later than the seventh day after the date on which the carrier receives the report from the employer.
(f) A report required under this section may not be considered to be an admission by or evidence against an employer or an insurance carrier in a proceeding before the division or a court in which the facts set out in the report are contradicted by the employer or insurance carrier.
(g) In addition to any information required under Subsection (h), the report provided to the injured employee under Subsection (c) must contain a summary written in plain language of the employee's statutory rights and responsibilities under this subtitle.
(h) The commissioner may adopt rules relating to:
(1) the information that must be contained in a report required under this section, including the summary of rights and responsibilities required under Subsection (g); and
(2) the development and implementation of an electronic filing system for injury reports under this section.
(i) An employer and insurance carrier shall file subsequent reports as required by commissioner rule.
(j) The employer shall, on the written request of the employee, a doctor, the insurance carrier, or the division, notify the employee, the employee's treating doctor if known to the employer, and the insurance carrier of the existence or absence of opportunities for modified duty or a modified duty return-to-work program available through the employer. If those opportunities or that program exists, the employer shall identify the employer's contact person and provide other information to assist the doctor, the employee, and the insurance carrier to assess modified duty or return-to-work options.
(k) This section does not prohibit the commissioner from imposing requirements relating to return-to-work under other authority granted to the division in this subtitle.
(l) A person commits an administrative violation if the person fails to comply with this section unless good cause exists.
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 980, § 1.29, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1456, § 3.01, eff. June 17, 2001.
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 265 (H.B. 7), § 3.137, eff. September 1, 2005.