(a) The office is governed by the risk management board. Members of the board must have demonstrated experience in the fields of:
(1) insurance and insurance regulation;
(2) workers' compensation; and
(3) risk management administration.
(a-1) A person may not be a member of the board if the person or the person's spouse:
(1) is employed by or participates in the management of a business entity or other organization regulated by or receiving money from the office;
(2) owns or controls, directly or indirectly, more than a 10 percent interest in a business entity or other organization regulated by or receiving money from the office; or
(3) uses or receives a substantial amount of tangible goods, services, or money from the office other than compensation or reimbursement authorized by law for risk management board membership, attendance, or expenses.
(b) The board is composed of five members appointed by the governor.
(c) Members of the board hold office for staggered terms of six years with one or two members' terms expiring February 1 of each odd-numbered year. A member appointed to fill a vacancy shall hold office for the remainder of that term.
(d) The governor shall designate one member of the board as presiding officer. The presiding officer shall serve in that capacity at the pleasure of the governor.
(e) The board is subject to Chapters 552 and 2001, Government Code.
(f) The risk management board and the office are subject to Chapter 325, Government Code (Texas Sunset Act). Unless continued in existence as provided by that chapter, the board is abolished and this section expires September 1, 2031.
(g) Appointments to the board shall be made without regard to the race, color, disability, sex, religion, age, or national origin of the appointee.
(h) The board shall develop and implement policies that clearly separate the policymaking responsibilities of the board and the management responsibilities of the director and the staff of the risk management office.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1098, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1017, § 1.03, eff. Sept. 1, 2002; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1481, § 3.02, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1170, § 40.01, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 407 (S.B. 908), § 3, eff. September 1, 2007.
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 19 (S.B. 612), § 2, eff. September 1, 2019.