(a) The commissioner, after consultation with the medical advisor, shall adopt rules concerning the operation of the medical quality review panel, including rules that establish:
(1) the qualifications necessary for a health care provider to serve on the medical quality review panel;
(2) the composition of the medical quality review panel, including the number of members to be included on the panel and the health care specialty fields required to be represented by the members of the panel;
(3) the maximum length of time a health care provider may serve on the medical quality review panel;
(4) a policy defining situations that constitute a conflict of interest for a member of the medical quality review panel;
(5) procedures and grounds for removing a member of the medical quality review panel from the panel, including as a ground for removal that a member is repeatedly delinquent in conducting case reviews; and
(6) a procedure through which members of the medical quality review panel are notified concerning the status and enforcement outcomes of cases resulting from the medical quality review process.
(b) In addition to the rules required under Subsection (a), the commissioner shall adopt rules concerning the training requirements for members of the medical quality review panel. The rules adopted under this subsection must ensure that panel members are fully aware of any requirements imposed by this subtitle concerning the medical quality review process and the division's goals concerning the process. The rules adopted under this subsection may require members to receive training on any topic determined by the division or the commissioner to be relevant to the operations of the panel and must require members of the panel to receive training concerning:
(1) administrative violations that affect the delivery of appropriate medical care;
(3) the medical quality review criteria adopted under Section 413.05115.
Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1162 (H.B. 2605), § 24, eff. September 1, 2011.