The following persons are excluded from coverage as an employee under this chapter:
(1) a person performing personal services for the state as an independent contractor or volunteer;
(2) a person who at the time of injury was performing services for the federal government and who is covered by some form of federal workers' compensation insurance;
(3) a prisoner or inmate of a prison or correctional institution, other than a work program participant participating in a Texas Correctional Industries contract described by Section 497.006, Government Code;
(4) a client or patient of a state agency;
(5) a person employed by the Texas Department of Transportation who is covered under Chapter 505;
(6) a person employed by The University of Texas System who is covered by Chapter 503; and
(7) a person employed by The Texas A&M University System who is covered by Chapter 502.
Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 269, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1188, § 1.45, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1205, § 7, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.