(a) The following words and terms are defined in the Texas Labor Code §407.001, and are used in this chapter:
(2) Impaired employer;
(3) Incurred liabilities for compensation; and
(4) Qualified claims servicing contractor.
(b) The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Applicant--an employer that applies for an initial certificate of authority to self-insure or, once initially certified, any subsequent certificate of authority to self-insure.
(2) Certificate--A certificate of authority to self-insure issued by the commissioner under Texas Labor Code §407.042, which entitles an employer to be a certified self-insurer and is valid only for the persons, firms, or corporations named on the certificate. For a certificate of authority to self-insure delivered, issued for delivery, or renewed on or after January 1, 1996, a sole proprietor, partner, or corporate executive officer of a business may be specifically excluded from coverage under Texas Labor Code §406.097.
(3) Certified self-insurer--A private employer that has been granted a certificate of authority to self-insure for payment of compensation, either currently or for a prior period except if withdrawn with an insuring agreement under Labor Code §407.045(a-1).
(4) Claims Contractor--A qualified claims servicing contractor.
(5) Division--The Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers' Compensation.
(6) Excess Insurance--Insurance that an employer purchases to pay claim costs that exceed the employer's retention amount up to a specified limit.
(7) Retention--All payments that must be paid by a certified self-insurer before an excess insurance policy will respond to a loss for claims filed under the Workers' Compensation Act including indemnity benefits, medical payments, death benefits, and all other related claims expenses not otherwise covered by insurance.
(8) Trust Fund--The Texas certified self-insurer guaranty trust fund created by the fee assessed by the Association for emergency payment of the compensation liabilities of an impaired employer.
The provisions of this §114.2 adopted to be effective January 1, 1993, 17 TexReg 7896; amended to be effective November 6, 1995, 20 TexReg 8612; amended to be effective May 9, 2004, 29 TexReg 4186; amended to be effective January 6, 2019, 44 TexReg 99.