(a) Definitions. The following words and terms, when used in this section, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(1) Termination of coverage--Occurs when either party withdraws from a policy of workers' compensation insurance, either by canceling the policy in the middle of its term, or by declining to renew the policy on its anniversary date.
(2) Rejection of the workers' compensation system--Occurs when a subscriber terminates coverage and fails or refuses to purchase a policy of workers' compensation insurance.
(b) Carrier's notice to the Industrial Accident Board. The carrier shall notify the board when coverage is terminated by filing Board Form IAB-9, “Cancellation or Non-Renewal Notice.” The notice shall be:
(1) filed in person or by certified mail; and
(2) filed on or before the effective date of termination.
(c) Carrier's notice to subscriber. The carrier shall notify the subscriber when the carrier terminates coverage. No notice is required when the subscriber terminates coverage. Notice to the subscriber shall be:
(1) in writing;
(2) sent by certified mail; and
(3) mailed no later than the 30th day before the effective date of termination; or
(4) mailed no later than the 10th day before the effective date of termination if termination is due to:
(A) fraud in obtaining coverage;
(B) failure to pay a premium when payment is due;
(C) an increase in the hazard for which the subscriber seeks coverage that results from an action or omission of the subscriber and that would produce an increase in the rate; or
(D) a determination by the commissioner of insurance that coverage would be illegal or hazardous to the interests of subscribers, creditors, or the general public.
(d) Effective date of termination of coverage.
(1) Termination by the carrier shall be effective on the latest of the following dates:
(A) on the 31st day after the carrier notifies the subscriber as provided in subsection (c) of this section, or, if the termination is due to one of the conditions set out in subsection (c)(4) of this section, on the 11th day after the carrier notifies the subscriber as provided in subsection (c) of this section;
(B) the day the carrier files notice of termination with the board, as provided in subsection (b) of this section; or
(C) the actual termination date recited on the notice.
(2) Termination by the subscriber shall be effective on the actual termination date recited on the notice.
(3) Termination shall be deemed effective on the date a subsequent carrier files notice of inception of coverage for the subscriber.
(e) Duties of a subscriber who terminates coverage and rejects the workers' compensation system.
(1) A subscriber who terminates coverage and rejects the workers' compensation system shall, on or before the effective date of termination:
(A) post copies of notice of noncoverage, on a board-prescribed form, in three places around each work site affected; and
(B) file a copy of the notice of noncoverage with the board.
(2) Failure to comply renders the subscriber liable for statutory benefits to injured employees.
The provisions of this § 43.10 adopted to be effective December 21, 1989, 14 TexReg 6419.